This opportunity has now expired. Search for new opportunities
Actors open call – early years
Closing date: 6pm on Monday 16nd May 2022.
Fee: will be in line with industry standards. Research & development commitments will also be renumerated
Made especially for very young audiences, Down the Rabbit Hole is an enchanting adventure for little ones and their grown-ups. Get ready to travel down the rabbit hole and into a Wonderland of colour, light, and incredible characters...
MAST Mayflower Studios are seeking expressions of interest for actors to work with them on their Christmas production for early years audiences, based on the tale of Alice in Wonderland. As part of our creative approach, we shall recruit the majority of acting positions through open call outs in order to be accessible, fair and representative.
Whilst this is an open call and we are happy to consider all submissions, we encourage artists who are based in or have links to ‘The South & The Solent’ to apply. We are defining this region as Portland to Portsmouth from East to West, and Basingstoke to the Isle of Wight, from North to South. We seek to build a sustainable and vibrant artistic community in Southampton and Hampshire, believing that having outstanding creative teams with strong links to our area will develop an ecology that will help culture thrive in the region.
Knowledge, skills, experience
We’re interested in casting charismatic actors who’re able to multi-role, have strong singing voices, and have the special skills required to be able to transfix even the littlest audiences.
- A minimum of two professional credits (at any type or scale of venue) or you have graduated from a vocational actor training course during the pandemic
- A calm, organised, tactful, collaborative team player
- Experience of and commitment to working with young people with a particular passion for creating work for an early year’s audience
Applicants must be available for all rehearsals and performances as well as scheduled R&D sessions, detailed below;
- Mon 25th – Friday 29th July – R&D Session 1
- Monday 10th – Wednesday 12th October R&D Session 2
- Rehearsals begin Monday 28th November for one week followed by technical rehearsals commencing Monday 5th December.
Performances run from Friday 9th – Sat 24th December, giving 29 performances.
If you require flexibility because of access needs or caring responsibilities, please let us know and we will offer further support including advance notice of production schedules, where possible.
How to apply
Please e-mail email@example.com with the subject heading “ACTORS OPEN CALL 2022, your name” along with a link to your Spotlight/Mandy CV. If you have a showreel please include this as well as an introduction statement (no more than 1000 words) or a 3 minute voice recording or video which outlines:
- A short email giving their address and relevant experience; this may not be performance experience
- Links to Southampton and the region (if relevant)
- Details of their experience working with very young children (0-5). We are happy to hear about non acting experience that is relevant, i.e. nannying, teaching, presenting etc
Please include your postal address and mobile telephone number.
It is important to us that families visiting MAST Mayflower Studios are able to see themselves represented onstage. We want to meet actors who represent the diversity of Southampton, and particularly welcome expressions of interest from disabled actors, actors from the global majority, and those who are underrepresented in the sector. Please state in your application that you found this role through Creative Access.
Should a position be offered you must either have your own public liability insurance or have this arranged through Equity. Proof of this will be required. You must demonstrate that you have the right to work in the UK prior to commencing. If you have any further queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fields of study
- Performing arts / TV
Years of experience
- Less than £20,000 per year