Bookseller & barista
Closing date for applications: Friday 19th August at 11.59pm
Salary: £9.90 per hour
In this role you'll be sharing the joy of both books and coffee with customers of this indie bookshop.
First opened in 1948, the Sevenoaks Bookshop is a black-owned, truly independent haven for booklovers of all ages. Stocking the very best new books in every genre, our brilliant booksellers are on hand to offer advice and inspiration whenever needed. We recently doubled in size and have a new dedicated children's shop, packed full of wonderful books, puzzles and stationery. We host regular book clubs, writers groups and author events. We're also the winner of the British Books Awards, 2021 Best Independent Bookshop for the UK and Ireland!
For this part-time temporary position, we're looking for a keen reader and booklover to work in our bookshop and cafe.
Knowledge, skills, experience
- Our ideal candidate will have some barista/hospitality/retail experience, have great customer service skills, and be ready to help give great book recommendations to our customers.
- Training will be given across all aspects of the job, but candidates with experience of at least one of the above mentioned areas will be prioritised.
- The position is from September to January, 3 days a week (Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays) with extra hours/days potentially available during the busy Christmas period, and to do holiday cover.
- It is often a physically demanding job - standing at the cafe counter, carrying trays of drinks and cakes, loading the dishwasher, standing at the bookshop till-point, shelving books, etc.
Although this is a temporary position, it may work out that we are able to extend the contract into the new year (this is depending on the other members of the bookselling team). For anyone looking to pursue a career in the publishing industry, a period of time spend working in a bookshop is an invaluable experience.
If travel costs are a potential problem in relation to applying, it may be possible to obtain a grant from the Book Trade Charity: https://www.btbs.org/
Please include in your application the last three books you read and your top three books of all time. This needn't be a separate covering letter, but could be included in the body of the application email. Applicants that don't include these details will not be considered for the role.
Please state in your application that you found this role through Creative Access.
Years of experience
- Less than £20,000 per year
- general knowledge