Creative director & deputy CEO
Closing date for applications: 5pm on Wednesday 17th August 2022
Salary: £45,000 per annum
We are looking for a creative, passionate and driven leader to take on the position of Creative Director & Deputy CEO.
It’s an incredibly exciting time for us here at Manchester Camerata, and we have big plans for the future. We cannot wait to welcome a new Creative Director and Deputy CEO who will help us achieve our ambitions.
You’ll be at the centre of a small, supportive and busy team who feel passionately about what we are doing.You’ll be responsive and organised, with a strong knowledge of the sector and a desire to build great programmes and relationships which support positive change.
Strategic direction, artistic vision, and planning
- Devise, implement and oversee the orchestra’s artistic strategy and vision in collaboration with the CEO, Music Director, musicians and Artistic Partners.
- Establish, lead, coordinate and evaluate a diverse group of artistic partners and a newly formed Artistic Ambition and Excellence Group (with support from a key board member with responsibility for concerts activity).
- Develop and lead on all long-term artistic ideas and projects. Deliver an innovative Manchester season of c.8-10 concerts per year and 40+ commercial engagements locally, nationally, and internationally that support the strategy.
- Support the CEO to maintain and develop the wider organisational Strategic Plan.
Key strategic relationships
- Take an active role in Manchester Camerata’s external relations, building networks, represent the orchestra at forums, conferences, and other industry events and advocate for positive change in the sector.
- Lead on the continued development of a broad network of promoters, touring relationships, agents, venues and festivals in the UK and internationally in support of the artistic strategy.
- Lead the relationship with the Musicians’ Union and negotiations about the terms of our in-house agreement, annual pay deals and UK and International work.
- Ensure a good working relationship and regular comms with the MU steward, players committee and wider membership regarding future artistic plans, engagements and our in house MU agreement.
Management, development, and finances
- Support the CEO and fundraising function with specific content for grant applications and reports to trusts and foundations and public sector funders.
- Actively engage with the overall organisation’s work in a senior leadership role
- Ensure close working relations with all other members of the Senior Management Team (Heads of Community, Marketing & Comms, Fundraising and Finance teams).
- Report to the Board of Trustees with high quality papers on the artistic strategy, KPIs, concerts work, finances and engagements forecast.
- Take responsibility for delivering an agreed and ambitious income target for engaged work and creating and monitoring budgets for all concerts activity.
- Manage the Concerts team and freelance staff, ensuring smooth delivery of all activity.
- Oversee the calculation and authorisation of the monthly player payments system in conjunction with the Finance Manager and Orchestra Personnel Manager.
- Negotiate all fees and deals with artists, venues and promotors, and draw up contracts with support from the Projects and Concerts Manager (a vacant role, to be appointed once you are in post).
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please make sure that you state in your application that you found this role via Creative Access.
Required degree level
- Level 6 (e.g. Bachelor's degree)
Years of experience
- £41,000 to £50,000 per year