Deputy travel editor
Closing date: 14th August 2022
We’re looking for someone who loves getting to know a destination inside-out and discovering (and sharing) the places that locals love.
The Deputy Travel Editor will support the Travel Editor to deliver Time Out’s travel content strategy, and help to manage all Time Out’s coverage of travel destinations outside the UK and North America, with a particular focus on Europe.
Travellers turn to us because no one knows the city like Time Out; because we give a local’s perspective on everything from the biggest tourist attractions to the tiniest tucked-away bars; because they want to know what a city is really like. We tell them about places in a way that’s funny, engaging, useful and makes them want to pack their bags and head for the airport immediately.
Our content is primarily city-focused and goes big on food, drink, culture (both low and high) and offbeat, under-the-radar things to do.
You’ll be well versed in SEO and curating ‘best of’ lists, but also have a keen eye for news stories and features that will jump out of our readers’ feeds. Sharp-eyed copy-editing skills and experience with crafting excellent, engaging social and video content are also very much desirable.
- Assist with publishing Travel content, including news and features, across the Time Out Worldwide site and travel destinations outside North America and the UK. Day-to-day this will include writing, research, commissioning, copy-editing, proofreading, fact-checking and digital production using our in-house CMS in line with best practice and SEO.
- Break rising travel topics and stories, keeping a finger on the pulse of industry trends.
- Contribute ideas towards the overall Time Out Travel content strategy.
- Monitor the performance of travel content to ensure published work is contributing towards monthly Travel section goals.
- Expand Time Out’s travel coverage with new ideas, content opportunities, destinations and formats.
- Help execute the Time Out Travel social and video strategy, aiming to build audience and drive conversions.
- Edit the regular Time Out Travel email newsletter.
- Develop and expand Time Out’s international contributor network.
- Help boost the industry and public profile of Time Out as a travel brand.
- Assist with international editorial projects such as the Time Out Index survey and associated features, awards schemes and more, aiming to build audience and drive conversions and brand profile.
- Cover for Travel Editor during leave periods.
- Ensure Time Out’s editorial standards are met, all relevant copyrights have been cleared and content meets all legal guidelines
- Embrace Time Out’s digital-first, mobile-first philosophy; a strong background in digital production is essential.
Knowledge, skills, experience
Time Out is a company filled with individuals as diverse as the cities we live in and cover. At the same time there are common characteristics and values we all share. To join our team, you’ll want to…
- Be commercially astute
- Either have experience at or want to dive headfirst into a fast-paced digital-first company
- Think globally
- Have excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Have a high sense of ownership, urgency and drive
- Be a team player
At Time Out Group we believe in diversity and equal opportunity for all people. We do not discriminate against external or internal candidates on the basis of age; disability; gender, gender reassignment; race; religion or belief; sexual orientation; marriage and civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity. We believe that diversity develops creativity and enables personal and professional growth where we all learn from each other. We believe in an open culture where ideas are shared candidly and where there is no fear of failure, but rather an understanding that we must experiment and have the freedom to succeed. We believe that everyone has the right to express themselves as they are as this enriches us all. We believe in an open world, social justice, and the pursuit of happiness, after all, we are in the happiness business.
Please state in your application that you found this role through Creative Access.
As our cities have reopened, we have embraced a hybrid way of working that gives us the opportunity to work remotely, as well as from the office; offering the flexibility that brings many benefits to our lives, as well as still providing a space where we can connect and collaborate as part of our Time Out community.
Fields of study
- Media / Communication
Years of experience
- £31,000 to £40,000 per year