Digital & linear continuity announcer apprentice
Closing date for applications: 19th August
Duration: 15 Months
Do you love a bit of Channel 4 and believe in what it stands for? Have you always had a sneaky suspicion that you’re a wonder with words? What about your voice, do you think it’s fresh and different? Altogether different even? Are you good with drama (think Made in Chelsea levels)? If so, can you take it in your stride? And how about writing, ever given it a go? Have you dipped your toe in radio, podcasts or social media content creation?
You don’t need loads of experience (although, if you’ve got it, nice work!) but we’re looking for raw potential and enthusiasm. A creative mind is essential, but an awareness around logistical and practical tasks would be a bonus.
Our Apprenticeship programme is designed to provide work experience and a related qualification to people leaving formal education and who have decided to pursue an Apprenticeship rather than attend University.
Our Apprenticeships are full-time, with four days per week spent working in a C4 department and one day per week completing the formal learning parts of the apprenticeship. Our Apprentices have external tutors who deliver workshops and seminars to them and offer support throughout the apprenticeship. It is essential for Apprentices to be able to balance their work and learning time and commit to delivering what is required for the formal learning elements in order to successfully achieve the qualifications on completion.
The formal training provided will consist of workshops, tutorials, webinars, coaching and in some cases residential boot camps. The training is dependent on the qualification your apprenticeship offers and will be explained in detail by the training provider before you officially begin the course. You can read more about the qualification being offered for this apprenticeship below.
Qualification offered with this apprenticeship: Level 3 Business Administrator
Am I eligible to apply?
- You must be 18 years old or over at the time the scheme starts to apply. There is no upper age limit.
- You cannot already have the same qualification or a similar higher level qualification than what is being offered on this apprenticeship.
This is an exciting opportunity for you to join us as one of Channel 4’s unique, industry-leading Announcers working across the brand’s output.
We verbally sell what Channel 4 has to offer. In fact, you’ve probably heard us at it without even realising. We’re the voices who guide you on Channel 4, E4, All 4 and the rest. We let you know what’s coming up next and if you might need a cushion handy in case its’ something hard core. We announce big national news stories, tell you what’s worth checking out on All 4 and deliver branded marketing messages, like encouraging you to be you, no matter where you are, because we believe we’re altogether different, and that should be celebrated.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic, self-starter who is keen to learn and grow while being readily thrown into the thick of the action when required. This opportunity will offer mentorship and guidance for you to develop and hone your scriptwriting, vocal delivery and audio production skills. You’ll be supporting the rest of the team on collaborative projects and being asked to work proactively on key marketing activities. Once trained up, you’ll be writing, recording, and editing high-quality audio, as well as performing LIVE on air (no pressure).
The team sit within the Marketing department, whose core purpose is convincing audiences (hello, you) to spend more time with Channel 4 by continuing to building strong brand resonance and showcasing our best content, across all our sub-brands, content platforms and services. The Announcers provide that crucial link between the business and its viewers through live and pre-recorded continuity, delivered across Channel 4, E4, More4, Film4 and All 4, the UK’s biggest free streaming service.
What you'll be doing
After suitable training, we would hope a successful candidate would…
- Watch content and write concise, insightful, enticing, editorially and legally compliant promotional scripts to suit each channel’s unique brand identity
- Work closely and collaboratively with colleagues & key internal stakeholders to define a brand tone of voice for All 4 continuity
- Write scripts for use on All 4
- Refine scripts following feedback
- Deliver live on air
- Record, edit and upload audio for pre-recorded transmission on our linear channels and for digital streaming on All 4 at our Playout Centre or remotely
- Work collaboratively with key stakeholders to ensure sign-off on all marketing messaging
- React quickly and creatively to Marketing briefs
Knowledge, skills, experience
- Good knowledge of Channel 4’s content, services and understanding of its remit
- Has the hunger to learn, grow and develop
- Has an inquisitive outlook
- A great team player who is comfortable building relationships
- Able to remain calm and focused under pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Great organisational skills, ability to multi-task and prioritise a busy workload
- Creative thinker
- Infectious confidence and great sense of humour!
Alternative application formats
If you are unable to complete the Apprentice application, we are happy to consider alternative formats of the application form.
For example, you could arrange a phone call with 4Skills for you to speak your answers and a member of the team can scribe, or if you’d like to create a five minute YouTube video/ voice recording, these are also options available. If you have a different alternative, we really welcome your suggestions to ensure you have a fair chance of applying.
Take a look at our access page for more information, which you’ll find by clicking here. If you have any questions about this apprenticeship vacancy please email the 4Skills team direct at 4Skills@channel4.co.uk
If you need to relocate in order to take up this opportunity, we can offer you support towards the financial costs of moving. This includes a contribution towards your deposit and first months’ rent, plus visits to your new city to look for accommodation.
Please state in your application that you found this role through Creative Access.
Years of experience
- £20,000 to £30,000 per year
Consent to this service
Consent to this service
Consent to this service