Location: Work from Home, within the UK. Some travel required. For the right candidate, other locations could be considered.
Pay: £15.60 per hour, plus necessary expenses
Working hours: 8 hours per week, flexible
Initial period: 1 year
Application deadline: 1st September 2022
Interviews: 19th and 20th September 2022
Format of application: CV and covering letter emailed to email@example.com. Please put General Manager in the subject line and address to Simon Cox and Matthew Knight, Artistic Directors.
As we enter an exciting new phase in Septura’s journey, we are seeking to appoint a highly-motivated General Manager to oversee and expand the group’s activities.
Since its launch in 2014, Septura has established a reputation as one of the world’s leading brass ensembles. Through a critically-acclaimed series of nine recordings for the Naxos label, the group has transcribed a counterfactual history of repertoire by composers from the last 500 years for brass septet, a brand new classical configuration. This repertoire has formed the basis for Septura’s busy performance schedule, which has included performances at the Wigmore Hall, numerous broadcasts on BBC Radio 3, and tours to the USA, Japan, New Zealand and all over Europe. The group’s members are among the UK’s leading brass players, holding principal positions in the country’s top orchestras.
The role will include fundraising, project planning and delivery alongside day-to-day administration, and the ideal candidate will have proven experience in these areas within the arts.
Septura has to date been managed by its two Artistic Directors, who also are playing members of the group. As part of an organisational restructure, the General Manager will take over management responsibilities from the Artistic Directors, allowing them more time to focus on long-term strategy and artistic planning, and increasing the group’s administrative capacity to deliver new projects in general. The General Manager will report to the Board of Trustees, who are responsible for developing Septura’s overall strategy. The Board includes individuals with expertise in key areas including classical artist management, accountancy, public relations and fundraising, who are available to help and advise where necessary.
Priorities will include overseeing the group’s existing concert schedule in collaboration with our local and international agents, developing and delivering new projects together with the Artistic Directors, and day-to-day administration. It is hoped that the role will expand in terms of number of hours, in line with the growth of the group.
- Attend quarterly board meetings and take part in discussions about the overall direction and strategy of the group
- Follow the board’s guidance in relation to the group’s long-term strategy when planning and delivering projects
- Liaise with our existing network of agents to deliver projects and tours
- Collaborate with the Artistic Directors to develop new projects
- Book rehearsal and performance venues
- Book players and send schedules
- Book travel and accommodation and assist with visa applications, where necessary
- Apply for funding for new projects and commissions
- Develop new revenue strands, including overseeing and expanding the Septura Supporters scheme
- Prepare project budgets and make payments to players and other contractors
- Assist the Treasurer with quarterly VAT returns and annual accounts
- Prepare quarterly cashflow forecasts
- Prepare quarterly reports and agendas for board meetings, and take minutes
- Circulate long-term schedules to players
- Implement the group’s digital strategy, including posting on social media and updating the website
Knowledge, skills, experience
- Excellent organisational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English
- Experience managing projects, including scheduling and diary management
- Basic financial literacy
- Good IT skills
- Willingness to occasionally work outside of normal office hours, e.g. to attend concerts or deal with travel emergencies
- Ability to think creatively and strategically
- A self-starter, motivated to work independently
- Degree standard or equivalent employment experience
- A passion for brass chamber music and the live performance sector
- Experience working with software such as WordPress (web), Filemaker (database), and Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator (graphic design)
- Experience working within the classical music sector
Septura is an Equal Opportunities employer and we encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and experiences. If you have any accessibility requirements that would benefit from reasonable adjustments in order to apply for this position or attend an interview, please let us know.
Septura is committed to improving diversity and equality in classical music. We aim to increasingly arrange and commission music by composers with diverse backgrounds and experiences, and to increase access to performance opportunities for all wherever possible.
Please state in your application that you found this role through Creative Access.