This opportunity has now expired. Search for new opportunities
Graphic / communications designer
Initial duration: 6 months (subject to extension following the first 6 months)
Salary: £22,984 per annum (pro rata for first 6 months)
Britain Thinks is looking for a proactive, self-starting graphics or communications designer to join its team.
We are a fast-growing research and strategy agency. Our work grapples with some of the most pressing social issues of our time and supports governments, charities and global brands to develop compelling campaigns, communications, policies and products for their audiences. We aim to put the people that matter at the heart of our clients’ thinking.
Note: as this is a new role, we are very open to applicants at different stages of their career in design, and who are looking for different types of work patterns and pay levels. For example, you may be looking for a full-time entry-level job as you develop your skills. Conversely you may already be a more experienced designer looking to work a few days a week at a higher daily rate. We welcome hearing about your ideal work pattern and requirements.
This is an exciting new role for us, and you will have the opportunity to shape the role and your remit as we grow. You will be fully supported by our marketing and new business team to do this.
- Being able to manage your own time well across multiple tasks; being curious about our research findings and stories, and able to interpret the written narratives correctly and bring them to life visually (with support from the research teams involved)
- Being confident following brand guidelines (both our own and our clients), with ability to find client branding online and adapt new templates to this style (font, icons, images)
- Updating and managing our internal templates in Word and PPT, including the creation of banks of icons and images aligned to our visual identity and supporting colleagues to use these effectively
- Attending project brainstorms and responding to internal briefs in a way that generates the desired outcome from the design process; working closely with the marketing and new business team to develop new design concepts for our assets
- Designing our Word and PPT reports in a way that elevates their visual impact and storytelling, and provides a consistent visual identity; elevating agency creds decks and cases studies via design and imagery
- Creating one-page infographics and icons to bring to life complex information and research findings for a range of audiences; developing basic wireframes and customer journey maps in collaboration with project teams
- Supporting project teams to create research materials, e.g. infographics, presentations, handouts or short videos to explain complex information in a clear and accessible way for the public
- Supporting with proposals /pitches: being confident in creating template/ designing proposals in client/prospect and our own branding
- Creation of social media and web collateral, and assets that can be used to promote reports and webinars; Support in design of emails in mailchimp for email marketing
- Ideally (but not essential) ability to record/edit short videos for web, client and promotional activity e.g. bringing to life research findings, and clips of participants; ability to use audio recording technology and edit/create audio files for short podcasts /voice overs would be great, but is not essential.
Knowledge, skills, experience
- You have excellent time, task and deadline management and a genuine curiosity about social issues
- Confident in developing concepts, planning and executing design work creatively and collaboratively, based on briefings and brainstorms with non-designers
- Some experience of working in a busy office/agency environment is helpful, though this doesn’t necessarily have to be in a Design role
- Proficient in the usual packages - Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign plus PPT and Word
- Some experience of Premier Pro or Rush or other video editing and animation ability would be beneficial but not essential
- Open to working collaboratively
- A people person - able to build strong relationships and communicate effectively with colleagues of all levels
Hours: core daily hours are 10-4pm, with team members working flexibly from 8am-6pm as suits their workload and responsibilities.
Location: Our offices are in Somerset House in central London. We work in a hybrid model with staff generally expected to be in the office at least 2 days a week, working flexibly/remotely on other days. We are very open to applicants from across the UK provided you can be in the office at least every fortnight, as a minimum, as we expect this role and our team will benefit from face to face design sessions and sprints.
How to apply: Please provide a summary of your work experience and qualifications, and a very short summary of why you are interested in this role and what you feel you can offer. This can be in any format.
Please send your application to the email via the apply button.
Deadline: 5pm, 16th May 2022
Please state in your application that you found this role through Creative Access.
Fields of study
- Visual arts / Design
- Media / Communication
Years of experience
- £20,000 to £30,000 per year