This opportunity has now expired. Search for new opportunities
Head tutor for contextual practice
Salary: £35,000 to £40,000
Full time. Permanent.
Have tutor experience at further education/higher education level with a background in musical theatre, acting or dance and a flair for face to face, blended and online delivery?
Working closely with our course leaders you will oversee, build, and develop a contextual practice provision that is engaging, insightful, and immersive. Leading a small team of Sessional Tutors and external markers, you will ensure our graduates enter the profession as thoughtful, informed and well-rounded performers.
Your commitment to an innovative approach, cultural range, academic background and conversance with the literary, theatrical and musical theatre canon and critical theory will mark you out.
Italia Conti is a training institution. This is germane to success in the post; a passion for supporting performers in this essential part of our degree and diploma programmes is key. The role involves coordinating the Contextual Practice provision across our courses. Working closely with our Course Leaders, understanding the nuances of each programme and requirements, is fundamental to the role.
Underpinning this will be a desire to support, encourage, and enable students who may not necessarily have followed a traditional academic route. Special Educational Needs is something that we have invested in and dedicated support for students with SEN is a key part of our offering at Italia Conti and you would be ably supported by our established SEN Tutor.
The post is being introduced as we prepare to move to our new campus in Woking in September 2022.
Knowledge, skills, experience
- Educated to MA level or above in the performing arts or related discipline
- Teaching qualification or referenced specialist experience
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Extensive knowledge of current professional practice in the teaching of Contextual Practice at a specialist performing arts institution
- A solid academic background and broad cultural range incorporating a conversance with the literary, theatrical and musical theatre canon and critical theory
- Excellent influencing and communication skills and an open and collaborative style
- Knowledge of teaching and learning strategies
- Knowledge of assessment points
- Knowledge of the curriculum and course structures for degrees and diplomas, the National Qualification and the professional accrediting bodies
- Understanding of the requirements of the QAA Quality Code
- Understanding of equality legislation
- Previous demonstrable experience of teaching Contextual Studies/Practice in a performing arts context
- Previous demonstrable commitment to student success and individual development with evidence of the successful delivery of new and innovative approaches to methods of teaching and learning
- Experience of undertaking administrative duties and of leading a team of freelance creatives and teachers in an HE/FE context
- Experience of delivering or participating in widening participation activities and outreach events
- Education/training within a conservatoire-style model
- Knowledge of creative writing, or dramaturgical practices
- Experience of supporting the development of new writing, and/or the development of idea to theatrical realisation
The closing date for applications: Sunday 22nd May 2022 at 6.00pm.
Interviews will take place: w/c 30th May 2022
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK. Only applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, or religion or belief.
Please make sure that you state in your application that you found this role via Creative Access.
Fields of study
- Performing arts / TV
Required degree level
- Level 6 (e.g. Bachelor's degree)
Years of experience
- £31,000 to £40,000 per year
- general knowledge
- Office applications