Journal launch manager
Closing date: 10th June at 11.59pm
Salary: depending on experience
In this role, you could be responsible for managing a portfolio of new journal and section launches, and will line-manage a team of Journal Launch Specialists.
If you are passionate about science, have strong experience in academic publishing and enjoy leading teams – this could be a great opportunity for you! Frontiers is seeking a driven and target-oriented professional for the position of Journal Launch Manager.
Frontiers is an award-winning open science platform and leading open access scholarly publisher.
We are one of the largest and most cited publishers globally. To date, our 200,000 freely available research articles have received more than 1 billion views and downloads and 2 million citations. Our journals span science, health, humanities and social sciences, engineering, and sustainability. And we continue to expand into new academic disciplines so more researchers can publish open access.
You will be working closely with members across multiple Editorial Teams, be a trusted advisor for internal and external stakeholders and arrive at solution-oriented approaches to deliver scalable growth. The Journal Launch Manager role requires the ability to inspire across all levels and the successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills which will enable them to effectively lead a team who will engage with high-profile scholars and interface with other departments.
- Lead a team to deliver new journal and sections products across the "Frontiers in" title series and the Publishing Partnerships journals, and other potential growth areas
- Deliver these products successfully and on time by inspiring the team to achieve set milestones and targets for Editorial Board creation and commissioning strategies
- Identify new editorial areas of interest for the business using competitor and market analysis, undertaken in collaboration with the Business Intelligence team
- Manage and lead a team of Journal Launch Specialists: responsible for their training and providing continuous development as well as performance feedback and appraisals; primary escalation point for higher-level issues encountered by their team
- Work with the Head of Journal Launch to ensure policies, procedures, methods, and guidelines are updated to guide employee actions most efficiently
- Collaborate with internal departments to ensure efficiency and scalability of journal launch operations
- Represent the company to external stakeholders
Knowledge, skills, experience
You are a target driven individual with excellent interpersonal and communication skills. You enjoy leading teams and are a collaborative team player, working closely with members of supporting teams. You will also be confident in working with data to perform market analyses of the competitor publishing landscape.
- Demonstrated experience in an academic publishing house, and/or strong project management experience
- A degree or higher is preferred, with a keen interest in dissemination of research
- Demonstrated experience in leading a team would be an advantage
- Aptitude for digesting large amounts of information, and reacting effectively to urgent situations
- Ability to work independently, be highly organised and meet deadlines
- Sound and mature judgment; decisive and tactful when working with multiple stakeholders
- Technical proficiency using current software (particularly MS Excel, Salesforce would also be advantageous) and a knowledge of social networks and social media platforms
- Excellence in written and spoken English
Frontiers actively embraces diversity and is a safe and welcoming workplace. Recruitment is free from discrimination – including based on race, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or sexual orientation. With over 600 employees from more than 50 different nations, our diversity creates vibrant teams and constantly challenges us to appreciate multiple perspectives.
Please state in your application that you found this role through Creative Access.
Fields of study
- Media / Communication
Required degree level
- Level 5 (e.g. Foundation degree)
Years of experience