Closing date: 29th February 2024
Salary: £24,380 (+bonus +benefits)
Location: This role will be based at our Newcastle office, with a blend of in-office (3 days) and homeworking (2 days) per week.
We are looking for a talented designer or recent design school graduate who is confident in the design of book jackets, and eager to learn more.
Headline is a division of Hachette, one of the largest publishing groups in the UK, with 12 publishing divisions and over 60 imprints. Everyone here is proud to be in the business of opening doors and minds.
We were created over three decades ago to deliver the brightest and best entertainment. Story – real and imagined – lies at the heart of everything for us. We delight in seeking out storytellers and story lovers everywhere. We're serious about keeping people entertained and believe our books should be devoured, not left on the shelf.
What you'll be doing
- The successful candidate will bring their excellent design skills and passion for publishing to assist in the design of market leading covers for our highly successful and commercial Fiction and Non-Fiction publishing, working closely with the publishing teams, as part of our dynamic creative team.
- We want someone who can create designs for books from a brief, maintaining design and technical standards, someone who enjoys working to deadlines and takes pride in making sure their design is commercially relevant for book buyers.
- You’ll be happy preparing layouts and visuals for presentation and approval by the Creative Director and confident in marking up and checking jacket proofs, under guidance from senior colleagues.
- You’re well organised and able to file and archive all design work appropriately, ensuring processes and systems are kept up to date.
- And you’ll thrive as you develop the skills to work with and commission artists and photographers, managing photo shoots where relevant under supervision.
Who we're looking for
- An eye for detail is essential, as is a passion for design in publishing.
- Delivering creative solutions for the packaging of Headline’s full range of publishing
- Understanding of the digital and print production process
- Exceptional Adobe Creative Suite skills
In your application, please submit your CV and a Portfolio of recent relevant work (which is in the cover letter section).
What we offer
Our staff are our greatest asset, and our benefits reflect this:
- 28 annual leave days per year, increases to 29 days after 2 years' service and goes up to 30 days after 5 years' (+ bank holidays)
- Private medical insurance
- Generous pension schemes
- Rent deposit loans
- 2 community days per year
- Summer hours (finishing at 1pm on Fridays during the summer months)
- Retail discounts through Hachette rewards
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Eye care vouchers
- Wide-ranging training library
- Development programmes (including mentoring)
- Up to 70% off book purchases
- A charity bookshelf
- 12 Staff-led employee networks that are voluntary, including Gender Balance, Thrive, Pride, All Together, Wellbeing and religious networks
- Season ticket loans
- And much more!
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
Please state in your application that you found this role through Creative Access.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews and undertaking junior roles. For more information visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org
Level of experience