Marketing and development intern
Closing date: Thursday 29th February at 11.59pm
Salary: London Living Wage
Duration: 6 months
Start date: April 2024
Location: London, working from the RPO office a minimum of 3 days per week
Typical hours: 9:30am – 17:30pm Monday-Friday (plus attendance at evening and occasional weekend events)
This exciting internship with Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is an opportunity to gain valuable insight into events marketing and arts fundraising.
The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (RPO) is at the forefront of music-making in the UK, with a mission to enrich lives through orchestral experiences. The Business Development department generates revenue for the Orchestra from ticket sales and fees as well as donations and sponsorship, while communicating the Orchestra’s journey to audiences and supporters in ways which maximise the value and impact of the RPO brand.
From contributing to strategy discussions with the team to creating digital marketing assets and meeting audience members, this internship will provide an introduction across the many different skills that are needed to create a marketing strategy for events and develop relationships with supporters by working on the planning and delivery of live music events.
The appointed candidate can look forward to having regular access to one of the world’s great orchestras and the opportunity to experience a broad range of orchestral music in London’s most iconic concert venues.
What you'll be doing
Campaign implementation and administration
- Assisting the marketing team in the implementation of marketing campaigns to promote performances
- Creation of organic and paid-for social media adverts
- An introduction to email marketing including creating emails, refining messaging, responding to analytics and use of a customer relationship management system to created targeted data lists
- Working with designers to brief and manage printed and digital materials
- Working with the content coordinator to gain experience of working with a website content management system to ensure that the RPO website is accurate and up-to-date
- Stakeholder management
- Liaising with Box Offices at venues across the country including at the Royal Albert Hall, Southbank Centre and Cadogan Hall
- Working with staff and players on various projects including staff and player ticket provision
- Conducting prospect research to identify potential donors and funding opportunities
- Assist in nurturing and maintaining relationships with existing donors through effective stewardship practices
- Writing donor communications to engage and inform supporters about the RPO's initiatives and impact
- Actively contributing to team discussions surrounding the direction and content of the RPO’s Marketing Strategy
- Working with the assistant marketing manager to learn about CRM systems
- Assisting with change of information including uploads of data from ticketing agencies as required
- Database maintenance as directed
- Part of the team that answers incoming calls, transferring to appropriate staff members
- Monitoring social media inboxes and comments and working with the digital marketing manager to respond in a timely and appropriate manner
- Assisting the assistant marketing manager to increase levels of RPO Club Membership renewals through tailored communications with members.
What we're looking for
- Someone proactive and willing to learn: we are not looking for someone who has experience in marketing, fundraising or working with orchestral music
- The ability to multitask and complete high-quality work to strict deadlines in a busy environment
- Good organisational skills and excellent attention to detail
- Creativity - someone who is happy to bring fresh thinking and ideas to the team
- The ability to work as part of a team and communicate clearly
- Financial or numerical literacy
- Proficiency in using MS Office to include Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- A genuine desire to contribute to the orchestra's impact and success
- Log in to your Creative Access account or register today to apply for this opportunity
- Upload your CV and cover letter as one document (applications without a tailored cover letter will not be accepted)
- Once submitted, you can no longer amend your application, so proof-read carefully
- Do not contact the company directly
- Please email any queries about this role to Creative Access at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org
This opportunity is only open to Black, Asian, and ethnically diverse individuals, who are under-represented in the creative industries.
The successful candidate for this opportunity will participate in a Creative Access support programme that sits alongside workplace training. This includes a programme of induction training, monthly masterclasses, wellbeing support, buddying / mentoring and more.
This role is part-funded by the Mo Siewcharran Memorial Fund which supports internships for young talent from ethnicities that are under-represented in the theatre, publishing and music industries.
Level of experience