Contract duration: 12 months
Deadline: 19th June at 23:59
Start date: 15th August 2022
Do you believe that lives can be changed through writing? Want to help deliver First Story's Young Writers Programme?
First Story (FS) believe that writing can transform lives, and that there is dignity and power in every young person’s story.
First Story brings talented, professional writers into secondary schools serving low-income communities to work with teachers and students to foster creativity and communication skills. By helping students find their voices through intensive, fun programmes, First Story raises aspirations and gives students the skills and confidence to achieve them.
They are excited to be looking for an operations assistant to provide key administrative support to First Story's operations, including communications, HR, volunteering and fundraising.
What you will learn
- Issuing, collecting and filing the paperwork to support the programme, including Intellectual Property (IP) consent forms, processing DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) information and contracts to a defined schedule
- Supporting administration for annual competitions, including planning school communications, organising application and review process and liaising with stakeholders to allocate prizes
- Complete administrative tasks to support delivery of The Young Writers Festival and Summer Residential including booking rooms and accommodation, taking bookings and working with the event producer to produce supporting schedules, material and evaluation
- Scanning, typing up and organising any student work received from events and returning them to the schools
- Undertaking donor research and managing a template proposal to a list of small trusts
- Supporting data maintenance for the organisation including Salesforce, donor records, donor care and financial and evaluation data
- Website support including monitoring website repositories for uploads and school and writer registrations
- Supporting communications to schools such as uploading mailings on Mailchimp or other mail lists or the schools hub
- Performing routine financial tasks for the organisation including updating Xero (accounting software), issuing invoices, chasing payment
- Acting as primary user for the First Story Info account, being the first port of call for enquiries and distributing emails to FS staff where necessary and in a timely manner
- Supporting recruitment and co-ordinations of volunteers in the office and supporting with recruitment of volunteers for the First Story Festival
- Supporting basic facilities functions for the office, including the weekly guest list, making room bookings, maintaining the FS timeline, ordering and organising supplies, IT support liaison and distributing post
Knowledge, skills, experience
- Demonstrable evidence of managing workload and meeting deadlines
- Accuracy in recording data with a good eye for detail
- An understanding and experience of providing good customer service
- A good knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- An online native able to manage/learn to manage mailings and subscription lists and upload content onto the website
- Knowledge of working with a content management system
- Good communication skills via email, in person and on the telephone
- Comfortable working in small team but relating to a diverse range of stakeholders
- Committed to First Story’s values and have an understanding of diversity and inclusion
- Log in to your Creative Access account or register today to apply for this opportunity
- Upload your CV and cover letter as one document (applications without a tailored cover letter will not be accepted)
- Once submitted, you can no longer amend your application, so proof-read carefully
- Do not contact the company directly
- Please email any queries about this role to Creative Access at this address: email@example.com
This opportunity is only open to individuals from a group that is under-represented in the creative industries. This includes, but is not limited to Black, Asian and ethnically diverse candidates, disabled people and individuals from lower socioeconomic backgrounds.
The successful candidate for this opportunity will also participate in a Creative Access support programme that sits alongside workplace training. This includes a programme of induction training, monthly masterclasses, wellbeing support, buddying / mentoring and more.
Years of experience