Political advisor to the Shadow Secretary of State for Justice
Closing date: 10th August at 11.59pm
Salary: £42,431.75 per annum
The Labour Party is looking to recruit a Political Advisor to the Shadow Secretary of State for Justice.
The post holder will provide media and communications support, policy research, and analysis in the given policy area to the Shadow Cabinet the frontbench team, as part of the Policy directorate.
The successful candidate will have an understanding of the policy area, excellent knowledge and experience of the media and political environment, knowledge of the Labour Party and its structures, knowledge of the parliamentary process, excellent organisational skills, experience of preparing written and verbal briefing materials and the ability to work proactively and collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders.
- Supporting the Shadow Secretary of State for Justice, their frontbench team and the Leader of the Labour Party to promote the strategic goals of the Labour Party
- To lead on the Parliamentary work of the Frontbench team, including:
- Managing legislation through Bill Teams, including policy advice, political management, and drafting amendments
- Preparing for Oral Questions
- Responsibility for UQs and statements
- To work with the Labour Party Press Office to promote Labour’s political and policy agenda in national and regional media and respond to Government announcements
- To provide day to day support to the Shadow Cabinet Member, including:
- With all events, speeches and engagements related to the Shadow Cabinet brief
- With media engagement, including interviews and articles
- With the coordination of the wider Labour frontbench
- With PLP engagement, including producing PLP briefs
- To provide policy analysis, research and briefings to the Shadow Cabinet Member and the Leader of the Labour Party as required
- To support the Head of Policy Development with frontbench engagement in Labour’s policymaking process
Knowledge, skills, experience
- Excellent knowledge of the relevant policy brief
- Knowledge /understanding of the current political environment and media
- Knowledge of the Parliamentary process
- Knowledge of the processes of policy development and political decision making
- Experience of preparing quotes, statements and written and verbal briefings
- Experience of working in a fast-paced environment
- Experience of working in a political environment
- Experience of working with Parliamentary processes
- Project management experience
- Experience of providing media and communications support
- Excellent verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisational and decision-making skills to ensure quick responses to requests from internal and external stakeholders
- The ability to prioritise own workload
- Ability to work proactively with a variety of stakeholders and politicians
- Ability to work with a high level of accuracy, to tight deadlines
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please make sure that you state in your application that you found this role via Creative Access.
- £41,000 to £50,000 per year