Publicity manager, Adult Marketing & Publicity
Closing date: 7th December 2023
Salary range: £30,500 – £35,800
Contract: The role is a full-time permanent position
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated publicity manager to join our Publicity team at Bloomsbury.
Bloomsbury Publishing is home to award-winning, internationally-bestselling and critically-acclaimed authors including Sarah J. Maas, Samantha Shannon, Stuart Turton, Elizabeth Gilbert, Kamila Shamsie, Kiley Reid, Lisa Taddeo, Madeline Miller, Ann Patchett, George Saunders, Abdulrazak Gurnah, Patricia Lockwood, Edward Enninful, Tom Kerridge, and Peter Frankopan, we publish the best titles in fiction, non-fiction, cookery, illustrated and poetry across our Adult Consumer publishing list.
We’re looking for someone who loves books, with proven experience in publicising commercial fiction and non-fiction titles across different genres. You’ll join us with innovative, standout campaigns under your belt, full of creative energy, and will thrive on working with an engaged, collaborative and ambitious team. Reporting to the Publicity Director, you will plan, organise and implement fully integrated PR and digital campaigns and events that target key audiences and break new ground.
You will work on an exciting and varied list across commercial fiction including SF/fantasy, romance, crime and book club fiction; and non-fiction including memoir and biography, TV tie-ins, sports, lifestyle and more. You will have experience of working with celebrities and brands and be ambitious for our authors, as well as championing the list as a whole.
Our new Publicity Manager will be an experienced communicator with superb media contacts, excellent communication skills and the ability to prioritise and remain calm under pressure. You will be a strong team player and a proven project manager who is adept at maintaining close working relationships across all departments and in particular with editorial, sales and marketing colleagues.
- Create and manage sales-driving, multi-platform publicity campaigns on individual titles across all formats (physical, eBook, audio)
- Management of individual title budgets
- Proactively pursue new ventures and projects to help promote the list and its authors, staying abreast of key publishing trends, the wider book market and cultural sector
- Confidently communicate promotional activity to internal and external stakeholders, including liaising with Bloomsbury’s global offices
- Contribute to discussions around strategy and vision for the Adult Consumer lists, including providing acquisition feedback from a PR angle
- Build and maintain relationships with authors and agents; provide outstanding author care and have experience managing sensitive and/or confidential projects
- Initiate and maintain relationships with journalists, event organisers, booksellers and retail partners
Knowledge, skills and experience
- A proven track record in handling publicity campaigns, with specialist knowledge in commercial fiction and commercial non-fiction
- Excellent contact base across print, broadcast, podcast and online media
- Excellent understanding of the events space for commercial fiction and non-fiction with good contacts at literary festivals – within the trade and non-traditional events
- Ability to discern objectives and implement strategy to achieve those objectives
- Ability to work to deadline and within budget
- Ability to multi-task, work flexibly and identify priorities
- An innovator able to look for new ways to promote our books
- Excellent communication skills in person and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to work effectively with people from any background
- Ability to mentor publicity assistants and press officers
- Experience of working with Rights and managing serial deals for campaigns
The role is based at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP on a hybrid working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred). Allocated office days for this role are: Mondays and Tuesdays
Please apply with a CV and covering letter, which includes the campaign you’ve been most proud to work on and the book you most enjoyed reading in the past year addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via clicking the 'Apply' button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by 7th December 2023.
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the role early if we exceed the required number of applications.
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required.
Our work is driven by different perspectives and we strive for our culture to be one of belonging. We welcome applicants of all backgrounds and identities.
Please state in your application that you found this role through Creative Access.
Fields of study
- Marketing / Sales
Level of experience