Senior commissioning editor
Closing date for applications: 10th August 2022
Salary: £35,000 - £50,000 depending on experience
This is the perfect opportunity for someone in publishing looking to take the next step in their editorial career and build their own list and lead on strategy. If you are creative, insightful, a self-starter and passionate about publishing LGBTQIA+ voices, then we would love to hear from you.
JKP is an award-winning, global publisher committed to publishing products that celebrate diversity and encourage social change. In 2017, JKP became part of John Murray Press, a fast-growing division of Hachette UK and in 2022, JKP won the Academic, Educational and Professional Publisher of the Year at The British Book Awards.
Our Gender Diversity and Sexuality list publishes some of the UK’s leading writers and activists from the LGBTQIA+ community, including Owl and Fox Fisher, Juno Roche, Charlie Craggs, Meg-John Barker, Rhyannon Styles, Jamie Windust, Sabah Choudrey and Ben Pechey. Our books have won and been nominated for numerous awards and prizes including the Polari Prize, the Polari First Book Prize, Stonewall Book Awards and the Lambda Literary Book Awards.
You will be responsible for seeking out new talent, building relationships with authors and commissioning and developing commercially focussed books and resources. The role will involve working across a range of formats, including self-help, memoir, practical guides, children’s books, books for teens, graphic non-fiction as well as online resources.
- Directly approach potential authors with original publishing ideas
- Establish and maintain relationships with authors
- Actively solicit, acquire, evaluate, and develop proposals and book concepts
- Negotiate contracts with authors and agents
- Champion books through the publishing process
- Maintain an effective relationship with editorial, marketing, sales production, and other departments
- Develop and maintain market awareness in order to identify publishing opportunities
- Oversee the preparation of marketing, jacket, and catalogue copy; and review marketing and publicity materials.
- Lead on publishing strategy for our Gender and Sexuality publishing
Knowledge, skills, experience
- Jessica Kingsley Publishers are looking to hire a talented and ambitious Senior Commissioning Editor for our market-leading Gender Diversity and Sexuality publishing.
- You will be passionate about LGBTQIA+ rights and be able to demonstrate that you have your finger on the pulse of trends and understand what our readers want
- You will also have strong connections to the LGBTQIA+ community and know who is going to be the next rising star or influencer
Please apply with a CV and cover letter and in your cover letter, tell us about one book or resource you would want to commission for the list and why.
State in your application that you found this role through Creative Access.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews and undertaking junior roles. For more information visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org