User research and service design internship
Salary: £415 per week
Duration: 12 weeks
Closing date for applications: 7th June 2022
Start date: 5th September 2022
Location: Bristol, UK
Are you passionate about understanding and anticipating user needs? Do you enjoy coming up with useful and innovative solutions to complex problems?
Mace & Menter is a Bristol-based User-Centred Design (UCD) agency that specialises in User Research and Service Design in the public and healthcare sectors. We uncover exactly what people need from the services they use to help our clients deliver brilliant public services. Established in 2012, Mace & Menter’s clients are Government departments, the NHS (both local and national) and other not for profit organisations. We work on a variety of discovery projects to understand user needs, and help create user-centred services for our clients.
We’re looking for recent graduates interested in a career in User Research and Service Design to join the Mace & Menter Academy on a paid, 12-week programme. This is an exciting opportunity to gain hands-on industry experience, hone your skills and learn more about the field. You’ll work closely with experienced researchers and designers to observe live agency projects and even deliver a project of your own.
This internship will run from 5th September 2022 to 25th November 2022. Interns will work 37.5 hours per week (typically 9:00am to 5:30pm) and we operate on a hybrid working model, meaning the successful candidates will share their time between home and our office in Temple Studios, Bristol.
What you'll be doing
- Learning the core skills needed for life in a user-centred design agency (user research, service design, visual concepting, business and consultancy skills) through both self-directed learning and in training sessions with the Mace & Menter team
- Working as an Academy team to research a problem, design and test solutions, and present these back at the end of the programme
- Where projects allow, observing and supporting the M&M team on live projects
Knowledge, skills, experience
- Be available from 5th September for at least 12 weeks and be eligible to work in the UK
- Have graduated within the last 3 years or be graduating this summer with a degree in a relevant subject (e.g. UX, service design, product design, psychology, sociology or other related courses etc.)
- Be a critical thinker who takes both a creative and analytical approach to problem solving
- Have a positive attitude and a willingness to get stuck in
- Possess solid written and verbal communication skills
- Have the ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Have excellent organisational skills
- Be open-minded and willing to learn
- Show a real interest in what we do
- It would be a bonus if you have any experience in research and design but this isn’t essential
- NB: we don’t specialise in user interface or visual design, so if you’re looking for a career focussing on UI design or graphic design, this probably isn’t the role for you
What we offer:
- £415 per week for 12 weeks
- Laptop and all software needed
- 12-week programme of learning and experience
- Access to our research and service design resources/ library
- Working alongside research and service design consultants and other interns
- Access to our agency studio and ability to work from home
- Travel allowance
- Phone allowance
- Help with your next step in the industry (reference, introductions, CV guidance etc)
If you’re interested in this opportunity, please send your CV (including your education, any previous jobs and responsibilities or other achievements both personal and professional) and a short covering letter (no more than 300 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your letter may include:
- Why you’re interested in the role
- Why you think you’d be a good fit for the role/company
- Any other experience/skills that you feel would be relevant
Mace & Menter are an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment irrespective of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or any other protected characteristic.
We encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and all protected characteristics as set out in the Equality Act 2010.
Please state in your application that you found this role through Creative Access.
*Mace & Menter may offer permanent roles to interns after the 12-week programme but we cannot guarantee that completion of this internship will lead to a permanent position within the company.
Required degree level
- Level 6 (e.g. Bachelor's degree)
Years of experience