This opportunity has now expired. Search for new opportunities
Salary: depending on experience
Closing date: 23th May at midnight
Are you looking to bring your UX/UI design skills to the television industry?
STV Player is the UK’s fastest-growing broadcaster streaming service, giving viewers in Scotland the opportunity to watch their favourite STV shows, live or on demand. Across the UK, the free service offers viewers an extensive catalogue of content from around the world, including over 3,000 hours of high-quality drama, sport and factual entertainment series.
STV Player is now pre-installed in three quarters of the UK’s connected TV homes and is available on all major platforms, including Sky Q, Now TV, Virgin Media, Amazon Fire TV and Freeview Play.
Our content library has grown to over 150 boxsets, including US thriller The Bridge, Irish legal drama Striking Out and Australian eight-parter The Slap. Viewers can upgrade to STV Player+, a subscription service which offers the opportunity to watch Player content advert-free, download shows for offline viewing, and also watch them abroad.
The STV Player is managed, developed and editorially controlled by the STV Digital team. In the role of UX/UI Designer you’ll be working with our in-house development teams, from concept to completion, to transform the STV Player into a world-class content destination. Your challenge is to blend leading edge technology with intuitive user interfaces and engaging user experiences.
As part of the User-experience and Design team, you will be responsible for defining, and seeing through to their implementation, tactical and strategic user-experience and design updates to the STV Player. You will be part of the Product team and as such, will be a critical part of the STV Player development strategy.
- Identify user-experience improvements by
- Working with the Data & Insights teams
- Gathering user feedback, whether via desk or field research.
- Contribute to the product roadmap, so that your input is taken into consideration
- Prototype solutions for user-testing
- Conduct design QA to make sure everything that is released meets our pre-defined standards.
Knowledge, skills, experience
- Previously worked on a live, customer-facing product, preferably spanning multiple devices form-factor
- Familiar with the most common software development project management frameworks, and how the UX and design process fit with them.
- Excellent communication skills, adaptable and able to work well within a small team, as well as establishing wider stakeholder relationships.
- Ability to translate business requirements and user objectives into clearly defined problems to be solved.
- Demonstrated experience of gathering, synthesising and sharing research from various sources, including competitor analysis, consumer insights and analytics, so that the UX plan is evidence-based.
- Experience of conducting user interviews, whether in groups or 1:1
- Comfortable taking ownership of projects from requirements gathering to execution, user testing, design QA, release and iteration, working in close partnership with developers, testers and product managers to deliver on expected outcomes.
- Highly skilled in producing UI design deliverables: sketches, wireframes, high fidelity mocks and interactive prototypes.
- Ability to articulate the value of UX and involving real people as part of the design process - you’re driven by curiosity and like to question the “why?” of user behaviour.
- Self motivation and ability to self manage projects and deliver work to required deadlines.
It would be great if you also had experience of any of the following
- Facilitating / leading workshops and running design sprints.
- Experience of designing for Video on Demand or other streaming media services.
- Experience in designing for multiple form factors, i.e. a product stretching from a mobile to a tablet, to a 55’’ TV.
- Experience in motion/animation design, in particular designing micro-interactions.
- A love of television and film and an awareness of the opportunities facing the media industry
Please send your CV and a portfolio of your past projects, or links with an overview of your work via the apply button.
We’re happy to talk about hybrid working to help you balance work, life, and to achieve your goals in both – we’re focused on creating an inclusive working environment where colleagues can collaborate, create and thrive to deliver results and perform at their best.
STV is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and to equality of opportunity for all. We encourage applications from candidates currently under-represented in our industry, so we are keen to hear from people from ethnically diverse backgrounds, disabled and/or neuro diverse people and those from a lower socio-economic background. As a Disability Confident employer, we are committed to offering an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the role.
Fields of study
- Visual arts / Design
- Computer science / IT
Years of experience
- £31,000 to £40,000 per year